The Holy Trinity Column in Olomouc
The largest Baroque sculptural complex in our country is work of Vaclav Render and his successors, Vaclav Ignac, Jan Rokytsky and Ignac Scholz. 35-metre-high sculptural group was consecrated under the presence of Empress Maria Teresa in 1754.
The baroque spire came into being between the years 1716 and 1754 and is a document of the apparent religiosity of the bishop’s city at that time. The motifs of church triumphalism and faith combine with architectonic-artistic creativity. Thanks to the inclusion of the baroque spire amongst the monuments of the UNESCO world cultural heritage, the historical Moravian town has become known to the world at large. Olomouc used to be the capital of Moravia, the residence of the bishop from the year 1063 and is, after Prague, the second largest monument reserve. It unquestionably deserves the attention of visitors.
The most significant church building is the cathedral of St Wenceslas from 1109, rebuilt between 1883 and 1890 in neo-gothic style. In 1306 the last Premysl King, Wenceslas III, was murdered. Other significant buildings are the Premysl Palace, Hradisko – the largest pre-Monstrance cloister in Europe - and the fortified church of St. Morris from the 15th and 16th with its renowned organ. In the small chapel on the square of St. Wenceslas there is a Madonna from 1483, one of the most valuable gothic sculptures in the Czech Republic.